[Qt] Release V.172RC

Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho felipemonteiro.carvalho at gmail.com
Wed Sep 23 23:45:59 CEST 2009

On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 5:54 PM, Den Jean <Den.Jean at telenet.be> wrote:
> and Qt 4.6 is almost out. Prepare for USE_QT_46 :-)

Maybe it would be interresting to discuss our future policy for Qt
version support. While it's a very good idea to go for Qt 4.5 and drop
the previous ones to have a uniform license, I am in favor of stopping
at Qt 4.5 for the years to come, because otherwise the Qt interface is
useless in Linux. If the necessary Qt version isn't install will users
need to build their own Qt to run LCL-Qt software? Is this really
expected?

In my experience they won't do it and if LCL-Gtk2 also expected
everyone to have Gtk 2.18 or whatever high version it would also be
useless in Linux and I think that LCL-Qt could have a shot at being
the standard in some years if LCL-Qt programs can run in a large part
of the installed Linux base, which will *never* happen if we keep
upgrading without stop.

So what do you think? Should we station Qt 4.5 or go upgrading with
every new version?

--
Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho