[Qt] Release V.172RC

zeljko zeljko at holobit.net
Thu Sep 24 08:12:02 CEST 2009

On Wednesday 23 September 2009 23:45, Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 5:54 PM, Den Jean <Den.Jean at telenet.be> wrote:
> > and Qt 4.6 is almost out. Prepare for USE_QT_46 :-)
>
> Maybe it would be interresting to discuss our future policy for Qt
> version support. While it's a very good idea to go for Qt 4.5 and drop
> the previous ones to have a uniform license, I am in favor of stopping
> at Qt 4.5 for the years to come, because otherwise the Qt interface is
> useless in Linux. If the necessary Qt version isn't install will users
> need to build their own Qt to run LCL-Qt software? Is this really
> expected?
>
> In my experience they won't do it and if LCL-Gtk2 also expected
> everyone to have Gtk 2.18 or whatever high version it would also be
> useless in Linux and I think that LCL-Qt could have a shot at being
> the standard in some years if LCL-Qt programs can run in a large part
> of the installed Linux base, which will *never* happen if we keep
> upgrading without stop.
>
> So what do you think? Should we station Qt 4.5 or go upgrading with
> every new version?

That was my intention. I hope that Qt 4.6 will not broke something like Qt 4.4
broken QFileDialog filters (changed function names).So you can use qt 4.6
(yes it works with bindings 1.70) installed on your system with current
qt-4.5 bindings and no changes inside lclqt code.
I agree with you.

Den, there's one more small thing I've been talking about long time ago.
Is it possible to get QMetaObject into bindings ? I don't remember exactly but
I think that you said that it isn't possible.
We already have QObject_metaObject() and it returns QMetaObjectH.
So it would be nice to have QMetaObject_className() etc.

zeljko