[Qt] Lazarus running slow on KDE 4.6.2

zeljko zeljko at holobit.net
Sat Apr 9 08:54:45 CEST 2011

On Saturday 09 of April 2011 03:25:14 Steven Feinstein wrote:
> I use PCLinuxOS.  Up to date with:
> QT: 4.7.2
> KDE: 4.6.2
>
> I run Lazarus from the latest SVN build.  In my case it is 30245.
>
> Just recently (builds for the last few weeks), I've run into a problem.
> Lazarus runs extremely slowly if I build using OPT="-dQT_NATIVE_DIALOGS"
> LCL_PLATFORM=qt.  Using top, X jumps to 70-90% whenever I try to do
> something in the IDE related to the UI.  If I do not use components (say a
> console application) the IDE runs fine.
>
> I recompiled using GTK and the IDE runs fine as well.  I played around with
> desktop Styles.  If I use the Oxygen theme (which I do), it is terrible.
> X jumps to 70-90%.  Which makes Lazarus unusable.  If I change to
> Plastique, X jumps only to 40-50%.  Which makes Lazarus mostly usable but
> slow.
>
> GTK, X jumps 10-15% at most.
>
> I posted on the Lazarus forum and no one else seemed to have this issue.
> They suggested posting here.
>
> Hopefully someone will have an idea of what setting might be messing me up.

I have no idea why it is so ... it runs fine here, qt-4.7.2, KDE-4.6.2 (Fedora
14 32 bit)+ remote X lazarus with qt-4.6.3 on KDE-3.5 (Fedora 3) runs fine
also. Oxygen can slow down things, but it's weird that plastique is doing the
same.
You can try to start lazarus from console with windows style and see if it's
better, eg.
cd /to/your/lazarus/dir
./lazarus -style windows

What's your graphic card and driver ? Qt have problems with nvidia cards
sometimes, but also I've seen problems with intel cards in combination with
old intel drivers. If it's so, try vesa graphic driver and see if it's still
slow.

zeljko