gtk

Sergio Kessler sak at perio.unlp.edu.ar
Fri Apr 30 17:55:50 EDT 1999

"Sergio A. Kessler" wrote:

> "Michael A. Hess" <mhess at miraclec.com> el día Fri, 30 Apr 1999 11:10:53
> -0400, escribió:
>
> >Cliff Baeseman wrote:
> >>
> >> No I think the library should be available but it does not have to be
> >> packaged with the fcl.
> >
> >Agreed, Free Pascal and the FCL should not be tied to a library, API, or
> >whatever you want to call it.
>
> exactly !
>
> >> Our library is very FCL dependant but the visual component should be
> >> swapable in lazarus between gui tool kits.  I intend to  move towards
> >> a swapable component library in lazarus. My intent is
> >> that lazarus does not care about the component library. Our ide is
> >> built from our GTK library but I do not wish to preclude the use of
> >> other other toolkits.
> >
> >Excellent! That is what I was eluding to. At this point it is tied more
> >to GTK but once the IDE is finished and we have something to work with
> >we can generalize the components. Right now the IDE is the thing. :-)
>
> this is also my point ! (I'm so bad explaining things ? :)
>
> I will try again:
>
> Suppose you want to implement the ShowMessage function that is in
> dialogs unit.
> And you want implemented in win32 and linux/gtk and linux/qt.
> Then you create a dialogs.pp in the fcl/win32 directory and
> implement ShowMessage using the win32 api, you do the same in
> fcl/linux/gtk (or should be just fcl/gtk ??) but using the
> gtk api, the same with fcl/linux/qt ...
>
> My *only* difference with Lazarus is _very_ minimal and is only
> where the archives resides, just that. I think that stdcontrols
> and controls for example should be in fcl/linux/gtk.
> I don't think that a relocation of some archives slowdown the
> Lazarus project, all the contrary.
>
> *Someone* interested in Lazarus for win32, just have to implement
> what is in fcl/linux/gtk in fcl/win32, recompile Lazarus and voilé,
> Lazarus for win32.
> This also prevent working with a library full of ifdefs wich
> is a mess as Nico pointed out.
>
> sound too bad ?

well, after re-reading my mail, I think I have left
some holes.

My question is: can the FCL acommodate GUI components ?

I think, at least, is worth trying.

I don't know how it should be organized, but if could
be done, it may be a great thing.

how 'bout:

fcl/
   linux/
   win32
   inc/          (the more code here, the better, of course)
   gui/
       gtk/
       win32/
       qt/

Of course, I'm saying that fcl/gui/win32 must be filled
by someone interested, not for anybody else.
The lazarus team (and eventually me, but I'm at the learning
stage) can work in the fcl/gui/gtk.
When someone ask: 'there is a Lazarus for qt ?' one can
say: 'yes, implement all the remaining parts in fcl/gui/qt
and you should be able to make a Lazarus for qt'

Sergio
--
  |    Sergio A. Kessler  http://perio.unlp.edu.ar/~sergio
-O_O-  Keep working at it... you will either succeed, or become an
       expert.