[lazarus] RFC : Type separation

Michael A. Hess mhess at miraclec.com
Fri Aug 6 10:03:03 EDT 1999

Michal Bukovjan wrote:

> I wanted to put into comments the idea that simple type used in
> controls.pp could be separated into a separate unit, say
> controltypes.pp.
>
> This would allow to reference these types in units like lmessages.pp,
> gtkint.pp and gtkobject types, without referencing the whole classes,
> so that they can be used in messages without the need to typecast
> everything.

I'd have to look at it to see what could be moved out but off the top of
my head I'm not sure what it would save. In the case of controls.pp just
about every other unit needs the class information that is found in
controls.pp. For example the gtkint uses the controls class to gather
information about the object being passed to the interface unit. So this
couldn't be removed. So I'm not sure if there is a case where controls
is being used where just those simple types are being used. In most
cases it is requiring access the TControl class. But hey I'll look at
it.   :-)