[lazarus] Components/Code needed

Sebastian Günther sguenther at gmx.de
Wed Aug 11 17:57:37 EDT 1999

Curtis White wrote:

> I really like this idea. It gives us a lot of flexibility if we ever want to
> expand on it. Plus, it could be easily converted to work with just about
> anything. I vote for doing the Registry as an XML file.

Did you ever had a look at fcl/xml/xmlcfg.pp? I've created this unit
exactly for this purpose (originally for use in KCL applications, of
course ;-) ). It would be really easy to add a generic interface for
storing and retrieving hierarchical configuration data and to have two
implementations of this interface: one for XML, and one for the Windows
registry. The only differences between this implementations would be the
constructors, as XML requires a file name and the registry would require
the root key for a specific application.
(But it might be better not to use the Windows registry at all. On the
one hand, Windows applications are expected to store their configuration
in the registry, on the other hand the whole registry is a big mess)

cu,
Sebastian