[lazarus] new adventure

Cliff Baeseman vbman at pcpros.net
Fri Dec 17 01:29:12 EST 1999

Well I have been doing a bunch of python the last 4-5 weeks and I am very
impressed with that.  I often thought about learning pearl but as far as I
heard it does not do classes. That being the case I will not invest my time in
it. Now don't get me wrong I hear pearl is great for text processing but the
lack of oop will turn me away in a moment. Java is a eligant language but the
performance just plain blows.

Reasons for liking python.
1. capable of multiple inheritance
2. code is not free form (if you do not indent it will not run) this means I
can read almost anyones code and make perfect sense of it.
3. dynamic allocation of everything.
4. integrates / extends easily with C or C++ libraries.
5. very short notation
6. runs on just about everything
7. it is free
8. damn easy to learn (I can teach a tard python)
9. plenty of widget implementations for GUI stuff

drawback
t's interpreted so it is slower than a compiled language plus you need python
to run it.

I do like object pascal also but it does tend to be wordy with all the begin
and end stuff. It also lacks multiple inheritance which is nice to have in some
cases. But on the other hand it produces tight fast code.

So yes I am leaning more and more to python. But I still need the others to
help it along on occasion. I could never stick to one language any how what a
bore, I love them all.  But VB really pisses me off, what a piece of crap. I
can say that , I have been developing in VB at work for the last 5 years.

Cliff Baeseman