[lazarus] TCustomControl

Michael A. Hess mhess at miraclec.com
Fri Dec 17 01:48:55 EST 1999

Osman Sen wrote:

> Well, i can develop components for Win32 in Delphi, but i dont know
> how to work with GTK.

GTK is just one API that can be used with the LCL. It is being designed
to work with any API available. You just need to write the wrapper code.
The ability to create additional custom controls will at times be more
dependent on the API such as GTK than on the LCL.

> I had to port Delphi's "Design Interface Unit" (DsgnIntf.pas) to
> do that and i think it is illegal.

If it is a direct copy, then it is VERY illegal. Do not attempt to
include that code with the LCL. Borland occasionally checks on projects
such as Lazarus to make sure that we are not using any of their code.

> -> TCustomControl does not support scroll stuff correctly and has
> refresh problems (with Invalidate method).
> ->TEdit does not seem to work.
> ->TCanvas does not have TextRect and drawing with it seems to be a bit
> slow.

Most of these items are only being developed. If you would like to
assist in helping complete them your efforts would be appreciated.

> And I wonder what you imagine about Lazarus' object inspector

At this point we have plans to port Fedit2

"FEDIT2 is a full form editor, complete with object inspector and
component palette!"

This work will most likely be done by Samuel Liddicott one of the
original authors of Fedit2.