[lazarus] Tiny thing... And some CVS questions

Jeffrey A. Wormsley daworm at cdc.net
Sun Jul 11 12:52:21 EDT 1999

On 7/11/99, at 12:21 PM, Michael A. Hess wrote:

>> I don't know if this is a result of some people editing in win32 Edit,
>> some in linux vi or emacs or whatever you guys use,
>
>That is what I assumed was doing it.

Sounds reasonable.  It would be nice if it didn't happen though ;)

>It attempts to merge the 2 files into one. If the changes you have made
>are too extensive for it to figure out itself it comments what is
>different between the 2 versions and lets you fix it up manually.

I think that is what is messing me up.  I went in and cleaned out all of
those extra $0D's out of the files in the lazarus directory, and apparently
CVS considers whitespace significant, becuase what I got after update was
not compileable.  Lots of <<<<<<< and ======= all over the place, and it
wasn't clear to me what was new and what was old.  So I tried to clean that
up, and things just got worse.

>If you are going to be doing editing it is always best to do an update
>just before you start to work so your source is as fresh as possible.

That's the first thing I do when I get started on it.  However, since I
haven't done anything that anyone needs yet (trying to get familiar with
it) and can't commit anyway, I am switching to doing a deltree on the
lazarus directory and then checking out from scratch, so that I won't run
into the problems described above.  For just lazarus, it takes almost no
time.  I am staying out of the gtk, fcl, and rtl trees as far as editing
goes, just reading those, so no problems with updates.

Jeff.