[lazarus] New Win32 Installer Now Available!!!

Michael A. Hess mhess at miraclec.com
Fri Jul 16 23:23:29 EDT 1999

d0hb0y wrote:

> I just ran it, it looks very nice! :)

Great!

> I'm just a picky S.O.B. so dont take it personally :-)

None taken.  :-)

> Wise is extremely powerful, yet not as wacked out as InstallShield.  I
> love it.

I've been using before anyone ever even heard of them, when they were
just a small shareware product. It makes InstallShield look like a joke
with what you have to go through to make an installing using it. I just
converted the company I am doing some work for. They were using
InstallShield and when I put my copy of Wise on the machine and built a
new install in 10 mintues which matched something they took days upon
days to do they walked over to another desk and placed an order on the
spot.  :-)

> Which brings up a good point, I have yet to see a "good" install
> mechanism for Linux... maybe one can be written someday in Lazarus :)

There has been alot of discussion going on on the Gnome mailing lists
about this very subject. The general opinion is that it isn't needed and
that are more trouble then they are worth. I myself disagree. While RPM
does do the job to a point it is far from user friendly and just having
a nice frontend to RPM still doesn't totally do it. At least I haven't
seen one yet that does. The big argument was that they felt that an
installer shouldn't let a person have a choice of where they want their
files. It should put them where it wants to put them. That is basically
what RPM does and why I don't totally like it.

So to that end, yes, maybe a nice installer could be built using
Lazarus. That would be very fasionable. Not only a problem that you can
write once and compile on different platforms but being able to use the
same installer on different platforms as well. Potential.