[lazarus] New Win32 Installer Now Available!!!

Michael A. Hess mhess at miraclec.com
Sun Jul 18 11:45:27 EDT 1999

d0hb0y wrote:

> The way we get around it is instead of putting any dlls in the path,
> we keep our dlls exclusively in application directory with the .exe.
> The application's "start in" parameter is set to the same directory,
> so no path changes are neccesary.  In the worst case, a clean reboot
> allows our application to load.

This is exactly what I do and have done with any application that I have
developed. However in those cases I am delivering an application. In
this case we are delivering a compiler that in no way uses the gtk
libraries. Only the application, lazarus, BUILT with what we distribute
uses the gtk libraries. So even putting them in the pp/bin/win32
directory doesn't solve the problem of distributing a binary of lazarus
or any program built with it, when the time comes.

> The ideal way is for the dlls to have incremental filenames

They do. If you look at the dlls you will see they are labeled

   gtk-1.3.dll
   gdk-1.3.dll
   etc.

This alone takes care of some of your concerns. In most cases it
shouldn't even matter having the gtk stuff installed in the
/windows/system directory but I intend on putting the option in there
for the user so if they really don't want to they can put it someplace
else or not install them at all if they already have them.