[lazarus] Delphi 5 prices!!!

Michael A. Hess mhess at miraclec.com
Tue Jul 20 15:52:06 EDT 1999

michael at tfdec1.fys.kuleuven.ac.be wrote:

> The compiler comes under the GNU GPL, the RTL is under the LGPL; this
> means that you can link the RTL in your applications, and still ask
> money for the application;  The final product is in NO WAY endangered
> by this license.

I assumed this is how it was even though I had never checked which
license things were under. I wasn't in my office so I couldn't check the
source directories and the earlier question just got me to thinking.

So there it is folks. To put it in simple terms. You don't have to
distribute source code with any application you BUILD with the compiler.
You only have to distribute code that is USED by the compiler.

It ends up being basically the same as the Delphi license except that in
Delphi Borland owns the VCL and in FPC the world owns the FCL.  :-)