[[lazarus] Delphi/TSE, Lazarus/X]

Michal Bukovjan mbukovjan at netscape.net
Wed Jul 21 13:11:46 EDT 1999

Hi,

everything written for X should have remote functionality, as the "remoteness"
is handled directly by the X libraries and the app itself does not need to
know about on what computer is running.

That means, for example, GTK is written for X, therefore it is remote (for
display purposes}. It is very transaprent for the application programmer.

As for DB connectivity for Linux, I am not sure it is even in design stage
yet, although I am considering taking part on this (as a part of my PhD grade
studies, when noone else/better is available :-)

I think if you stick to TDataset interface and will not be using much of the
Interbase/BDE specific stuff, there should be little problems in porting once
the DB stuff is finished. And who knows, there may be a day when
Borland/Inprise releases BDE+Interbase link under GPL !

And moreover, should you use FreeIB components or something like this, hey, I
think these are open source, so I do not see much problems in porting these

Mike