gtk

Cliff Baeseman Cliff.Baeseman at Greenheck.Com
Mon May 3 15:21:02 EDT 1999

Yep I agree the IDE should take precedence for now.  I am very tired of
using a text editor to work on files what a pain in the #$@#$#.  For now I
see the big hang up in control resizing and placement. We have to figure out
some generic routines to
handle the object placement. The fixed object works but GTK is supposed to
resize the children for us. Somehow we are losing this functionality.

Cliff

-----Original Message-----
From: Shane Miller [mailto:SMiller1 at stvgb.org]
Sent: Monday, May 03, 1999 1:48 PM
To: lazarus at miraclec.com; sak at perio.unlp.edu.ar.pcpros.net;
michael.vancanneyt at wisa.be
Subject: Re: gtk

So what we are saying it that we should create generic units.  For example
in the TForms class, instead of referencing a fcomponent which is a
pgtkwidget (pointer to a GTRK widget) we should simply make it a pointer,
then in the gtk directory, we would create another unit that actually sets
the pointer to point to a gtk widget.  In the qt directory, we would create
a unit to set the pointer to point to a qt form.  Is that the idea?  If so,
I think we still should first create an editor (Lazarus) THEN move the code
to the appropriate units.  I agree that this should be kept in mind though
when coding.

I say lets concentrate on getting an IDE out (we could use some help) and
then we'll start pulling code out and seperating everything so it's easy to
implement with qt and others...

Shane

>The other members of the Free Pascal team seem to agree with you.
>The question is then 'how' and 'what' to place 'where' ?

WHERE:
fcl/
    linux/
    win32
    inc/          (the more code here, the better, of course)
    gui/
        gtk/
        win32/
        qt/
        inc/      (independent toolkit parts, as Peter pointed out)

this is just a proposed implementation, feel free to modify
or change it as desired.

WHAT: I think this will require Lazarus cooperation, there is
a good amount of code to be put under fcl/gui/gtk and fcl/gui/inc
already.

HOW: cp stdcontrols.pp fcl/gui/gtk ... and so on :)
     if you have mc is even more easy :)

btw, attached is a patch to makefile.fpc, it solve the error
"dirname: too may arguments" in my StarBuck 5.9.7 (aka
RedHat 6.0 beta), RedHat do not install gcc, it install
egcs (will be renamed gcc in the future according to
rms). Should work with gcc installed (I hope).

this is the rigth mailing list to post this kind of patchs ?
Isn't there a mailing list for FPC ?

Sergio