[lazarus] Shane's Self Problem detected!

Payne Thomas E CNIN payne_t at crane.navy.mil
Thu May 13 10:43:15 EDT 1999

Problem:  Lazarus halt with an unhandled exception after choosing a file
from FILE OPEN pulldown menu dialog box reference (lazarus/editor.pp line
278 'Memo1 := TMemo.Create(fmEditor);' )

Possible Cause:  Object TMemo's create method is the constructor and should
pass a pointer back to Memo1 variable, but... the vmtSelfPtr is not
implemented in FPC (reference rtl/objpas/objpas.pp line 27 '//vmtSelfPtr =
-36; {not implemented yet})

Background:
I have not tested this theory, but it seems right.  Object Pascal liturature
states that you can send an app into the 'wild blue yonder' by using an
object's method without calling the constructor to intialize the link to the
virtual method table of the object. The editor problem seems related to tha
t, even though you are calling the constructor.

Solution:
It beyond my capability to suggest one.

Tom