[lazarus] thanks, lazarus/win32, rpm's

Cliff Baeseman Cliff.Baeseman at Greenheck.Com
Thu May 13 17:13:08 EDT 1999

Mike,

Our absolute first goal is to get a limited IDE working.
The only reason for using the linux unit for now is so that I can read and
write to files. We are having problems with TStrings.SaveToFile under linux
so I had to revert to this for now. I plan on replacing this in the future.

I will include any code you may send for compilation under win32 in any
case.

Send Away  ;)

Cliff

-----Original Message-----
From: Mike Z. [mailto:mike at msodata.com]
Sent: Thursday, May 13, 1999 10:32 AM
To: lazarus at miraclec.com
Subject: [lazarus] thanks, lazarus/win32, rpm's

Hello:

Thanks for the previous help with my gtk/path problem!

I'm interested in cross-platform development so for kicks I tried to
compile lazarus under win32.  It seemed to go okay except for some
references to the linux unit.  I know your goal is to get this working
under linux but if you plan on making lazarus cross-platform in the future
you might want to keep that in mind during development.  Most of the
functions in the linux unit look like they can be replaced with functions
from the system unit anyway.

I'm not exactly a linux guru but in my limited experience I've liked
installing software from tarballs and install scripts better than rpm's.
The scripts seem more flexible about where things are installed and you can
see exactly what's being installed and where.  Also, don't rpm's need to be
distribution specific?  I recognize the advantages of rpm's but I hope you
still provide the old tarball for those that don't want to use rpm's.  Just
my 2 cents.

mz.