[lazarus] Open for Opinion

Cliff Baeseman vbman at pcpros.net
Wed May 19 01:21:42 EDT 1999

1.  Fact           I am unable to run the code anymore at all.

2. Fact           Delphi clone constructs are not working all that well.

3. Fact          The compiler is having a time with the complexity of
our code.

4. Fact          It is difficult for us to work on seperate portions of
the code in the currrent model.

Now call me stupid or whatever but here is what I am opening for
discussion.  I suggest we step back for a moment and take a look at a
simpler
way to get to the initial goal.

1. We create a single object  which inherits TComponent called TControl.

2.  We create for instance a mainform.pp which inherits TControl.

3 TControl will contain only two things  fComponent: pGtkWidget  and a
TList of children.

4.  Each widget wrapper TMainForm for instance will be responsible for
implementing its own event handlers.  It will also implement methods to
allow control  placement of objects how they apply. TMain for for
instance will have methods to add a object of TControl.  Now this could
be a TTable that has multiple child widgets.  Now on a resize event of
the form, first it will cycle all children and force the resize signal.
The children will in turn fire their list of children etc... Thus
propagating the signal to the highest child level.

5. the code to manipulate the children is also up to the individual
component.

6. This would allow each developer to control his component development
completely independent of the other.  We only have to get a few
components working good to get the first ide going.

7. We all do a very good job at communicating so coordinating things at
that level should be easy.  We are also working on stuff now that uses
the whole component tree and it is making it difficult to deal changes.

I would also suggest keeping the individual units seperated until we
have them all built and then maybe merge them into one inc. later..

This would also allow me to take something like TForm and develop it to
its fullest right away.
Plus I think debugging would go a little better also. We need to put in
a but load of  writeln in each of our components with maybe a ifdef
debug around them so we can shut them off when we do not need the
debugging messages.

Give me your thoughts on this one. It might cost us a few days but I
think it would be worth it.

I really do not care how Borland does anything. I just want it to look
like delphi code it does not have to work exactly the same to make me
happy. ;)
I do not even care if the components have the same name as long as they
have easy to use wrappers I am a happy man.

Am I taking nonsense?

Cliff