How can I help the lazarus team

Shane Miller smiller at lakefield.net
Wed Nov 3 22:15:15 EST 1999

<FONT color=#000000
size=2>-----------------
Shane,

I have been following the lazarus
mailling list since last August (a so called 'lurker') and last weekend I
successfully installed fpc, cvs and lazarus on my win98 machine. I am impressed
by the progress of the last month or so.

I would like to help on the lazarus
project for a few (4-8) hours a week. What do you think I could do best?

My experience:
I have no experience programming on
linux and also no experience with gtk, but I have made some non-visual
components in Delphi 3 and I am quite at ease with object pascal and the
vcl.

The last few days the mailling list is
very quite. Does that mean a lot of work is done or that people are busy doing
there regular work?

I don't know if my latest mails have
offended someone (especially Jeff and Curtis, since I made remarks on there
work). If I did so, I am sorry. Please, tell me what I did wrong, if
anything.

Greetings,

Vincent
Snijders

it's been so quiet.

Right now we are working on a few main items:

1) Get an editor up and running using our LCL (like vcl but
under Linux).  The editor component we are thinking of using is MWEDIT
which can be found under lazarus/lcl/components/mwedit/release.  There are
MANY issues yet to be resolved because mwedit uses some win API functions that
don't yet exist.  I created "shell" functions that do nothing so
that mwedit compiles.  These shell functions need to be filled in and in
most cases need to be filled in with some gtk code or actual X Windows
calls.  The functions can be found by "grep"ing for
"TODO" (without the quotes).  The TODO comments show up where
something needs to be finished.

2)  Currently, I am converting the LCL over to use the
WNDPROC procedures.  However, I am not fully aware on how they are
initially called and therefore am looking into it.  For example, I can't
call TCustomForm's wndproc directly from another function because it is a
"protected" method.  Therefore I assume I need to ise either the
class in Delphi called WINDOWCLASS or something similiar to call the
wndproc.  I am still looking into this and would appreciate any help from
ANYONE!.  :-)

3)  Jeff and Curtis and programmers that, I suppose like
myself, are used to criticism and take it as long as it is meant to assist in
the project and push us forward.  I am sure that they haven't been offended
by anything said.  As long as things are said with the idea that they are
meant to HELP, then the "criticism" is much easier to
take.

Anyone interested may help at anytime.  Please feel free
to learn GTK (it's quite easy.  Go to <A
href="http://www.gtk.org">www.gtk.org) or look at what needs to be finished
yet.  We have ALOT of components that need to be added, and by selecting
something and working through it, you'll learn a ton.

I really feel that if we continue towards our goal and work
hard, we will eventually come up with a FREE IDE that is "compatable"
wiuth Delphi that is usable by all the already existing Delphi
programmers.  Think of the huge positive effect that will have on the Linux
operating system.....

Best
regards.....

<FONT color=#000000
size=2>------------------------------------------------------------Shane
Miller

Get paid to surf the net!<A
href="http://alladvantage.com/go.asp?refid=DEX-870">http://alladvantage.com/go.asp?refid=DEX-870

Home page : <A
href="http://www.lakefield.net/~smiller">http://www.lakefield.net/~smiller

Auto-IP Publisher : <A
href="http://www.lakefield.net/~smiller/autoip">http://www.lakefield.net/~smiller/autoip

Advanced Clipboard : <A
href="http://www.lakefield.net/~smiller/advclipboard">http://www.lakefield.net/~smiller/advclipboard

Lazarus : <A
href="http://www.miraclec.com/lazarus">http://www.miraclec.com/lazarus----------------------------------------------------------
<BLOCKQUOTE
style="BORDER-LEFT: #000000 solid 2px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">