[lazarus] Why the FLC/Lazarus/KCL development should be speeded

Michael Van Canneyt michael.vancanneyt at wisa.be
Fri Oct 1 09:45:28 EDT 1999

On Fri, 1 Oct 1999, Sebastian [iso-8859-1] Günther wrote:

> Michael Van Canneyt wrote:
>
> > Probably, yes, as it makes everything easier.
> > Whether it makes things better is debatable.
>
> I don't know, I guess that the speed will be horribly. (especially

Yes, and for this reason the win32 abstraction layer (wine) slows things down...
Add to that the VCL layer and hop; one mouseclick must go through 2 extra layers.

> > 1) For the IDE: You'll see it by running ldd on the executable.
>
> of course
>
> > 2) For the VCL: I doubt anyone will use it. I don't see the use
> >    of having windows run on top of Linux; you miss the point of
> >    having Linux.
>
> Yes and no, it could work as a temporary solution until the native
> libraries are ready.

Then you should better wait till you have the native version. try and do things
right from the first time, is my experience...

> We will see; on the other hand I don't think this would influence any
> FreePascal related project (Lazarus and KCL) at all...

That is true, we shouldn't look at what they do, just try and get it working.

Michael.