[lazarus] LCL Structure Discussion

Pascal Dutilleul pduti at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 14 03:09:08 EDT 1999

I have a simple(?) question.

Why are you guys using GTK ? (or QT in the future)

Couldn't you just build the LCL directly on the
X-Window API and the Windows-API ?

The reason for using GTK is to have a platform
independant LCL.  But therefore we need a platform
*dependant* GTK-library.  To me GTK is a kind of
Component library for X-Window applications (that is
also now ported to support Windows applications).
With LCL, we create a component library based on
another component library.

It's like the Delphi VCL is based upond the good old
C++ OWL library from borland.

I think the source for GTK is freely available, so
wouldn't it better (easier ?) to port that to Pascal ?

The execution of programs would be faster, it would be
easier to create additional components, ...
Maybe it will take more time to develop ???

Pascal

=====