[lazarus] FPC Request

Shane Miller SMiller1 at stvgb.org
Wed Oct 20 12:47:53 EDT 1999

Defining a TYPE as

TSomeType = Type Word;

creates a type that is not associated with a Word.  For example, if you define some types as

type
T1 = Word;
T2 = Word;

TSomeType = type Word;

then T1 and T2 are identical to words, but TSomeType is actually a NEW type.  Delphi uses this to override the normal property editor in their IDE.  If they defined a published property as a T1 and selected it in the object inspector, they would edit it like they would edit a WORD value.

If they defined a published property as a TSomeType and tried to edit it in the object inspector, you could create your own property editor for that type.  It's NOT associated with a word and therefore can be edited differently.

I think for now, you simply need to allow the declaration, and we can work on the other parts of that later.

Shane

>>> Peter Vreman <pfv at cooldown.demon.nl> 10/20/99 03:40AM >>>
> > We need this to be OK...
> >
> > type
> >
> > Somevariable = type Word;
> >
> > If we do it in FPC we get
> > Error: Illegal expression
> >
> > Can this be added somewhat soon?  It would help a ton for compatability...
If someone can explain what it needs to do, including an example to test
it.

Peter