[lazarus] Free IDE?

Baeseman, Cliff Cliff.Baeseman at greenheck.com
Wed Sep 29 11:20:21 EDT 1999

I will not discount looking at it because it is java. But I tend to agree
with you. I have tried to write some stuff with Java I like the language. It
is a very elegant model. But the performance sucks so bad it will not be of
use to me until everyone has a pc that runs in the 2 gigahertz range. "then
it will be as fast as C++ code running on a 486 now"

Now tell me the kaylix model or whatever does not already sound like our
stuff. Knowing what I know about writing on linux if borland can pull off a
mid 2000 release I will be shocked. Maybe they could do it if they did not
have to interface with X Windows. X throws in a totally unique set of
challenges.

Borland also teamed up with Corel that means that a QT implementation is
what I figure they are going for. QT has a more object based model C++ based
than GTK which is programmed flatter. I do wish to stay with GTK because we
cannot support QT on windows. Troll Tech charges like a 1000 dollars a seat
for a windows version QT now that really sucks.

This eliminates the QT widget set for anything open source and cross
platform.

Cliff