[lazarus] Has anyone else read this!!!!

Michael Van Canneyt michael.vancanneyt at wisa.be
Wed Sep 29 11:46:15 EDT 1999

On Wed, 29 Sep 1999, Michael A. Hess wrote:

> Michael Van Canneyt wrote:
> >
> > > However, Kylix is not a port of Delphi and CBuilder but a new
> > > product using entirely Linux standards and Linux components while
> > > incorporating the best features of the Borland Windows development
> > > tools."
> >
> > This is strange. I spoke to Inprise R&D people and they WILL port
> > Delphi to Linux ?
> >
> > I have some information from Inprise R&D - which I'm not allowed to
> > give you - and it is _radically_ different from what the press
> > releases say.
>
> So who is bull sh--ing who? Is the press release bull sh--ing the public
> or is R&D bull sh--ing you?

That's a good question, of course. I talked to more than one person in R&D
and they at least were very coherent in their statements :)

In my opinion, marketing always needs to make a big fuss, in order to get
clients/the market interested, it's their job, after all...
So let's blame it on that =-)

> However I guess if there is information from R&D as you indicate above
> then it appears that it will not be open source or why not announce it
> to the public?

I don't know anything about these legalese issues...

> > One more thing: Inprise people look from time to time at source code
> > from other developers that develop code in Pascal to see if no-one
> > copies their code. Just so you are not tempted :-)
>
> I'm not surprised. This is something I worried about and warned about
> months ago.    :-\

I remember that =-)

Michael.