[lazarus] Free IDE?

Samuel Liddicott sam at campbellsci.co.uk
Thu Sep 30 05:50:29 EDT 1999

Because Michael Hess is dead set against it.

>We have been drawn down
>in to discussions of WindProc, WinHandles, etc. etc. and it just doesn't
>need to be talked about or done at this time.

Basically he wants to tie strongly with GTK to get the themes, DnD and
Corbra for free (despite the fact it goes against his other well publicised
intention to keep things platform independant).

He thinks supporting wndproc makes it windows dependant, despite the fact I
tried to show it is just an extra layer of abstraction and therefore makes
it less dependant.

anyway.... the form designer as it stands needs wndproc's but it is also
compatable with the delphi component/control model.

If we aren't going that route, then the form designer will need redesgning
anyway, so its not an issue, and we may as well write a new form designer
designed for whatever component model we are using.

Personally speaking, I don't plan on using lazarus at all if it doesn't have
a wndproc, my main use will be parallel development on linux/windows.

Sam