[lazarus] cvs broken (still?)

Fabien Ninoles fabien at Nightbird.TZoNE.ORG
Wed Apr 5 00:02:33 EDT 2000

On Tue, Apr 04, 2000 at 11:42:43PM +0200, Michael Van Canneyt wrote:

> On Tue, 4 Apr 2000, Vincent Snijders wrote:
>

> > > Hmmm, forgot that one :(
> > >
> > > Anyway, i had a script fix ALL permissions of the repository,
> > > so it should function now.
> >
> > Unfortunately something went wrong there. I could temporarily checkout the
> > lazarus code at 20:30 UTC, but now I get the following error message for
> > every CVS-access:
> > Sorry, you don't have read/write access to the history file
> > /FPC/CVS/CVSROOT/history
> > Permission denied
>
> &#!@%$? !!!

Hum... here a little trick to set it correctly:
use the sgid bit on directory. This make all new files (including
directories) create in the directory heritate the group ownership
of the parent directories (with the exception of the sgid bit for
regular files). The following commands should do it if execute
on the local machine with CVSROOT set to something like /usr/local/cvs:

find $CVSROOT -type d -exec chgrp cvs {} \;
find $CVSROOT -type d -exec chmod g+srwx {} \;
chmod g-ws $CVSROOT/CVSROOT

For this to work, you have to make the anonymous user a member of the cvs
group. The CVSROOT directory however should not be taken care because it
contains very sensitive files. I don't know enough of CVS to know exactly
which one.

For more details on sgid on directory: info fileutils , node 'Structure
of File Permissions'.

> It should be OK now, I hope :(
>
> Luckily I checked my mail a last time;
> otherwise ~10 hours of waiting ahead :-)
>
> Goodnight.
>
> <Lights off>
>
> <Michael off>

Fabien Ninoles        Chevalier servant de la Dame Catherine des Rosiers
aka Corbeau aka le Veneur Gris               Debian GNU/Linux maintainer
E-mail:                                                    fab at tzone.org
WebPage:                                    http://www.tzone.org/~fabien
RSA PGP KEY [E3723845]: 1C C1 4F A6 EE E5 4D 99  4F 80 2D 2D 1F 85 C1 70