[lazarus] OS Specific Issues

Marc Weustink Marc.Weustink at cuperus.nl
Wed Apr 19 04:16:10 EDT 2000

+ From: cwhite at mail2.aracnet.com [mailto:cwhite at mail2.aracnet.com]On
+ Behalf Of Curtis White
+
+ So now I am back to trying to figure out how to do this. So
+ maybe it does make sense to setup Lazarus similar to the
+ RTL or FCL by creating a linux directory and a win32
+ directory. Then to create a .pp file that contains function
+ definitions and their implementations that are specific to
+ the OS. Then in the makefile, we can tell it to compile in
+ the linux file on Linux and the win32 file on Windows. I don't
+ really know of a better way to do this unless we create a file
+ and have IFDEFs in it. If we do it that way, then we should
+ have just a single file that contains ALL the OS specific
+ code. So which way do you all think we should do it?

I think I don't like the single file way. If there are to many ifdefs then
the code will be hard to maintain.

+ I prefer to be consistent with FPC and to have a linux and
+ win32 directory with the same file in each, but implemented
+ differently. I have created this structure on my PC and if
+ everyone agrees, I will check it into CVS this way.
+ But since I have to create a linux and win32 directory, it is
+ going to break CVS for a little while until one of the FPC
+ guys can fix the permissions. Do you all agree with this
+ method and want me to check it in?

If there is no other place and it is specific to Lazarus I vote yes. If it
is more generic I feel more for something at the level of sysutils.

Marc