[lazarus] Font Problems

Marc Weustink Marc.Weustink at cuperus.nl
Fri Feb 18 07:24:30 EST 2000

+ One question: Are you all totally ignorant? The font problem is
+ absolutely trivial, and as I pointed out several days ago there is
+ already a fully working editor with syntax highlighting, without any
+ speed or font problems, and written in Free Pascal - SHEdit,
+ of course.

Sure, but look at my story (It's mine so I cant talk for others).
Once you have decided to use a certain editors and once you have it allmost
working, you don't look to other editors that fast.

+ It has a demo renderer implementation for GTK, and there is a renderer
+ for KCL.

Thats a point, are we going to put effort in porting a non LCL component to
a LCL component. How much work would that be, I don't know.
OK, there is a GTK renderer, but its platform dependent, we can't use it
(only as a source for an independent version). As a first estimate I think
you still end up doing the same things as we do now, with the only positive
that we made the renderer ourselves and that it could be less resource
consuming.

+ I _really_ can't understand how you all manage to waste your
+ time here.

Call it a waste of time. I don't see it that way. With the introduction of
mwedit a lot of things are changed/improved on Lazarus. All the efforts
we've put in we had to do it sometime anyhow. Most of the excisting/new
components can use the new code.

Marc