[lazarus] Design issues

Michael A. Hess mhess at miraclec.com
Mon Feb 21 18:20:06 EST 2000

Florian Klaempfl wrote:

> I'am still curious about some design decisions of lazarus:
>
> - Why do you still use the strange message concept to communicate with
> the toolkit interface???

I think it was an evolutionary thing. The current way in which
components are created is far different from how it was done at the
start. It might very well be a good idea to look back at how this
transfer of information takes place.

> Virtual methods or another class ttoolkitinterface could easily do the
> trick.
>
> Clean proposal for a solution:
>
> twincontrol or tcontrol gets a pointer to a class ttoolkitinterface
> (similiar to the handle under windows) and ttoolkitinterface has
> childs like ttoolkitbutton with a appropritate methods.

I think I understand what you mean but could you explain it a little
better? When is the above pointer information loaded?