[lazarus] Helping with the project

Shane Miller SMiller1 at stvgb.org
Mon Jan 10 11:05:04 EST 2000

In regards to helping the project, the answer would be YES.  We are in need of some developers at this time to assist in many aspects of the project.
We currently have a HOWTO that assists new project participants to get our code and get set up to help.  What we need for new developers is a "map" on how to add new components, the current status of components, and a good "What needs to be done.".
We currently don't have that.  We have really been simply trying to get an editor up and running that is based on our code.  We are close, but there are a few linux OS specific things we need to work around.

I would advise any new developer to look at our code as it currently exists, look at the mailing list and our web pages and ask questions based on what they see.  What I will do is draw up an HTML document that describes our layout of compoents, the way things are setup, and hopefully some useful information on how to add code.

As it stands now, we have the basic components, TForm, TButton, TCheckbox, TToolbar, TEdit, TNotebook, TMenu, TRadiobutton, TCombobox, etc.  We need help cleaning up the code and finishing off the actual implementation of these components.  Some of them display fine but have no real underlying functionality or are missing a few features.  Plus, because we are doing this in a fashion that allows us to be "widget" independant, we ould use a lot of help creating the controls using the QT widget set.

As you see, there is a lot to do, but I can't say we are organized enough to say exactly where we need the help. We are more than happy for others to jump in, look at our code, see what's missing and add the code needed.

If you have any questions, feel free to post them to the mailing list.  In the mean time I will develop a page that can be used by someone wishing to become involved in this project.

Thanks for your interest and feel free to jump in.

Shane

>>> dcalford at distributel.ca 01/10/00 09:36AM >>>
Hi,

My name is Dalton Calford and I am one of the founding members of the Interbase
Developers Initiative.

With the current upheavels at Inprise in regards to Interbase, alot of
developers are joining us and asking how to help.

One of the other founding members, Jason Wharton, has asked me to contact you to
get your opinion on the porting of his code base to Lazarus.  He has a very
extensive group of components that he releases as binaries to commercial
entities, and as full source to anybody who asks as long as they pay him his
fees when they start making money.
In the past week, in order to become even more friendly to the open source
movement, he has opening started releasing his code on a "trustware" model.

He wants to know how/if it is possible to merge his code base into yours while
still retaining an income from it (he still has a family and mortgage to deal
with).  In the interbase community, his code base is considered the best for
database access.

As to the helping with the lazarus project, I have been directly contacted by 35
different developers whose code is well known in the Delphi community.  They are
all offering to help, as long as they are given some guidence as to what needs
to be addressed.

So I guess what I am asking for is, can the project be helped by throwing more
developers at it, and if so, where and who will coordinate it?

best regards

Dalton