[lazarus] BorCon Update

Michael A. Hess mhess at miraclec.com
Tue Jul 11 19:49:15 EDT 2000

mooseman wrote:

> as a side note to this, i just picked up the latest issue of Linux
> Journal (i think it was) and they had a quickie report on FPC but
> absolutely nothing on Lazarus. thought that was too bad.
> i don't have any idea who would have contacted who, but it seems that
> generally the FPC people and the Laz people work pretty closely, too
> bad no one mentioned the Laz side. (or perhaps they did but the mag
> left it out)

Well we will see how it works on the flip side.

Last weekend I was contacted by Linux World to do an interview on
Lazarus. They are doing an article on Kylix (of course) but thought that
it would be a good idea to present Lazarus right along side of it in the
article.

During the interview I of course talked up the Free Pascal Compile as
being the brains of Lazarus which couldn't exist without it, so forth
and so on. I also talked up our main contributers at this time, Shane
and Marc (Marc you must tell me exactly how to pronounce your name  :-)

In the end I am not sure how much will actually make it in to the
article because I think they were looking to see how compatible Lazarus
will be with Kylix, in other words will it be able to compile and use
Kylix code. I bascially said that I don't have a clue since not many
people have even seen any real Kylix code. However Lazarus will be in a
better position to be used on multiple platforms and to make better use
of existing Delphi code then it appears Kylix will. (maybe just my
opinion but we will see).

I also indicated that the pending release of FPC 1.0 will help in our
development since it will mean a fixed compiler to build Lazarus on and
maybe that will help us to gather more contributers which is what I
indicated was our biggest need.

So that is basically what the interview centered around. Now to see
exactly what they put in the article. They will notify me when the
article will be in print as it were.

So I expect that with the pending release of FPC 1.0 and this timely
news article we might see an increase in interest and hopefully HELP.

  :-)