[lazarus] Mini Install Howto Was: Note on all Lazarus installation problems

Marc Weustink weus at quicknet.nl
Sun Jul 23 11:50:08 EDT 2000

Hi,

Since the 1.0 release state of FPC I thing we can safely use this version
instead of a version form CVS as log as we don't need newer compiler features.
This has consequences on how to participate Lazarus and I'll try to
describe it. Please comment if needed.

1a) All platforms - Install the compiler.
Get a version of FPC http://www.freepascal.org/sdown.html
and install it as described on the download page.
NOTE: In contrary to the older Lazarus Howtos we keep/need the ppc386.cfg

1b) Win32 platforms - Get additional libraries.
On a win32 platform you need also the gtk dlls. You can get them from
ftp://lazarus.freepascal.org/lazarus/gtk-dlls.zip
or download the gtk+, glib, and extralibs DLLs from
http://user.sgic.fi/~tml/gimp/win32
Place the dlls in your \windows\system or \winnt\system32 dir

2) All platforms - Decide where to place the lazarus sources

On linux you might see /opt/lazarus, ~/lazarus or /opt/fpc/lazarus (the old
depriciated form)
On win32 you might see \pp\source\lazarus
For pre 1.0 versions of FPC it was advised/needed to place the lazarus
sources in the fpc tree. With the 1.0 version it is depriciated (you
probably won't have a fpc source tree :)
So it is up to you where you place the sources

3a) All platforms - Get Lazarus sources by CVS
There are several ways to get the lazarus sources. The preferred way is to
get them by CVS, it reduces bandwidth since it get only the changes since
the last update. There are CVS clients available for both win32 and Linux.
   Windows: ftp://ftp.cvshome.org/pub/cvs-1.10.5/windows/cvs.exe
   Linux: see your distribution

Open a command or cmd prompt and while in the dir where you want to place
the lazarus source dir issue the following commands:
   SET CVSROOT=:pserver:cvs at cvs.freepascal.org:/FPC/CVS

To to login enter:
   cvs login
When prompted for a password, use "cvs" (no quote marks, in lowecase)

To download all files for the first time enter:
   cvs -z3 checkout lazarus

To download only changed files (if you already had then checked out) enter:
   cvs -z3 update lazarus

3b) All platforms - Other ways of getting Lazarus sources

Ehhh.... is there a url for downloading a zip or tar ??

4) All platforms - Building lazarus.

In the lazarus dir enter:
   make

This should invoke the compiler and start the build of lazarus.

5) All platforms - Try it

Have fun.

Marc

PS Michael (H), shall I put it into HTML so we canplace it on the website ?