[lazarus] TStream objects

Michael Van Canneyt michael.vancanneyt at wisa.be
Tue Jun 20 12:20:11 EDT 2000

On Tue, 20 Jun 2000, Robert Scott Horning wrote:

> Is anybody working on a TStream object or anything in that hierarchy?
> With the talk of DFM files I thought it would be prudent to bring it up,
> especially because Borland uses the TStream to save and load components,
> as an encapsulating tool.

TStream and many descendents exist already in the FCL (unit classes)
currently available:

 TMemorystream                / plain memory
 TStringStream                / in a string.
 TFileStream                  / File
 TPipeStream                  / Pipe under linux,Windows
 T(DE)CompressionStream       / Compression with LZW compression (with zlib support)
 TBase64Stream                / Base 64 en/de coding
 TIDEAStream                  / IDEA Encryption stream
 TSocketStream                / TCP/IP or Unix socket streams

All come with example programs. (see fcl/test)

I think this is all you need ? I think you can set up quite a string of streams
with this:
i.e start with a socket stream, attach a compression stream, attach a encryption
stream, so anything written to the stream will be encrypted, compressed and sent
over your socket to, say, a web server... All in 1 write statement.

Feel free to send me some if you need some more, I'll add them to the FCL.
(They don't belong in Lazarus/LCL, since they're not IDE or GUI dependent)

Michael.