DFM/LFM in Lazarus WAS: RE: [lazarus] How I can participeinLazarus?.....

Michael Van Canneyt michael.vancanneyt at wisa.be
Fri Jun 23 15:20:40 EDT 2000

On Tue, 20 Jun 2000, Shane Miller wrote:

> I agree with the quick hack theory, but your message
> "A quick hack would be to convert a .dfm to the ..." assumes I have a dfm.  I don't!
>
> I guess I could fake one, or do we have the capability of writing one?

Sure; a .dfm file is nothing else than

object MyForm: TMyForm
  Caption = 'My form'
  Top = 100
  Left = 100
  Width = 600
  Height = 480
  PixelsPerInch = 120
  OnShow = MyFormShow
  Object MyButton: TButton
    Top = 10
    Left = 10
    Width = 75
    Height = 25
    Caption = 'Push me'
    OnClick = MyButtonClick
  end
end

Just save any form in D5, and make sure the 'Text DFM' is switched on.
(a binary .dfm looks different of course)

As of Delphi 5, they switched to text dfms because most versioning
systems can't cope very well with binary files.

Michael.