[lazarus] CVS updated

Shane Miller SMiller1 at stvgb.org
Sun Jun 25 14:52:04 EDT 2000

I agree we need the flexibility that Delphi has when adding controls to the IDE.
However I think this still gives us that ability.
We would simply call a function in another unit that people can add their controls to (like a package in Delphi).
The function would return a list of all the controls and their page and any other info we need and then the IDE could add them.
Each of the controls would have their own onclick, ondblclick, etc functions in the compiled package file and therefore it would remain very flexible.

I am not against changing it if you explain a bit better how people would add their controls and such...

Shane

>>> Marc.Weustink at cuperus.nl 06/22/00 03:28AM >>>
+ From: Shane Miller [mailto:SMiller1 at stvgb.org]

+ I have updated CVS.  I added a new file called idecomp.  It
+ contains the definition for the components that appear on the
+ toolbar that can be dropped onto a form.
+ By doing this, it's REALLY easy to add other components.
+ Each components has a few methods associated with it.

[ functionality snipped ]

+ Isn't that cool!  OK, your probably not excited about it but
+ I thought it was a great idea!

Hmmm... Yesterday I looked at it (while implementing TControlSelection) and
I think this is not the way to go.
This way you loose all the flexibility Delphi has with (new) components. I
feel more for a somewhat modified RegisterComponents function.

  procedure RegisterComponents(
    const Page: string;
    ComponentClasses: array of TComponentClass;
    Images: array of TGraphic
  );

All other information you need you can get from the RTTI. So the creation of
a component and its events can be done by general routines instead of a
class per Component.

Marc