[lazarus] CVS Changes

Marc Weustink marc at dommelstein.net
Tue Aug 14 18:57:03 EDT 2001

At 18:48 14-08-01 -0400, Michael A. Hess wrote:

>Now I am really confused. This is attempting to build a installation for
>Lazarus and Lazarus only. It shouldn't care about the compiler at all.
>Why do you currently need the compiler source to just build an install
>of the Lazarus application and units. It doesn't even include the
>compiler units and shouldn't.
>
>I'm not an fpcmake expert by a long shot so maybe you can explain
>exactly what it is trying to do.    :-\

Ok first some history:

* We needed a new compiler (forgot why)

* This version doesn't support the -Ca flag we
   need for lazarus (it's buildin now)

* This flag had to be removed from the makefiles,
   which is easies done by editing the Makefile.fpc
   and running fpcmake.

* There is a new, improved version of fpcmake, which
   doesn't support the old syntax. And generates newstyle
   Makefiles

* fpcmake analyses requied fpc packages by source or by
   Package.fpc. The latter wasn't shipped in the last rpm
   so in that case you need sources.

Now our promblems:

- windows won't build.
   Since you are using an old compiler
   it needs the -Ca flag. You can work around this by
   providing this flag with OPT. IE make OPT=-Ca

- installations fail
   The new install part of the Makefile generates package
   info with the use of fpcmake. Since the fpcpackage info
   is missing in the rpm version, sources were needed.
   This is a bug in the 'make rpm', since they are included
   in the 'make linuxzip'. I'll upload the new *.tar.gz and
   may can someone look at what goes wrong in 'make rpm'
   As other fix I'll upload the missing package.fpc files.

Marc