[lazarus] Hints and Lazarus hang on startup - compilerproblem?

Shane Miller smiller1 at stvgb.org
Fri Dec 14 09:08:22 EST 2001

Interesting.  I have been trying to create the same thing and capture exactly what was causing it but I have had some time doing that.

The plan for now is to have Main.pp enable all hints after it's done loading.  Then I was going to tackle the prob when I had more time.

I'll have to take a look at what you found.

Thanks for the help!
Shane

>>> jarto at starsoft.fi 12/13/01 09:57AM >>>
I've been able to reproduce systematically a problem that's related
to the HintTimer in uniteditor.pp. Apparently Shane has also tried
to hunt this down?

The problem appears when I move the mouse over the
sourcenotebook while Lazarus starts. The mousemoves fire events
at TSourceNotebook.EditorMouseMove where FHintTimer is
disabled and enabled again to reset the delay before showing a hint.

Here's where it gets interesting. Just add a "var a: Integer;" and
nothing else to TSourceNotebook.EditorMouseMove and it doesn't
crash any more. This is with fpc-1.0.5-laz.20010815

I then added a global integer and increased it after every
FHintTimer:=false in EditorMouseMove. It runs 3-7 times before it
hanging. The timer itself doesn't hang though. Just the notebook
form.

/jarto