[lazarus] Can someone more familiar with Kylix verify...

Tue Feb 27 18:22:17 EST 2001

On Tue, 27 Feb 2001, Michael A. Hess wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> Could one of you guys out there give me and overview from your point of
> view as the open sourceness of Kylix? I just want another sane head to
> give me a perspective before I make a fool of myself on the show.
>
> My take:
>
> 1. The Kylix class libraries will be available.

Yes.

>    Now does that mean they are open source as in usable by anyone?

Yes. They come under a DUAL GPL & Borland-No Nonsense license, meaning
you can create open source apps with it if you want. Remark this is NOT
the Library GPL, a point that should be stressed. So libraries created
with the GPL version can not be linked to a commercial app.

>    In other words can you make commercial apps from them?

Yes, if you have a license of Kylix, you can use the sources under the
Borland No-Nonsense license.

>    Exactly what is the license of Kylix?

The IDE, I don't know. The CLX comes, as I stated, under a dual
GPL -'Borland no-nonsense'
license. People that have a commercial license of Kylix will be able
to use the no-nonsense license version.

(That is what it states in the source files of the CLX, at least)

> 2. The IDE of Kylix is not open source and the code will not be
>    made available.

As far as I know, this is correct. It also goes for their midas technology,
and dbexpress.  But I am not 100% sure of this point. It would be good if
you could find this out, BTW.

>    Am I correct on this one or have I missed something???

I think this is correct. Based on the Kylix version I have and the sources
I have browsed (they're 1 week old), that is.

One thing to remark is that FPC's RTL and FCL come under a modified LGPL
license that explicitly allows them to be used for commercial projects as
well (which is NOT so for the plain LGPL, and definitely not for the GPL).

Michael.