[lazarus] [Fwd: controversy]

Michael A. Hess mhess at miraclec.com
Tue Feb 27 20:25:55 EST 2001

Codepunk wrote:

> First of all Michael, the only important fact in this whole deal is
> that you, shane and myself started lazarus way before they even
> thought about porting delphi to linux.

Yes this has been mentioned and I plan on making that fact VERY clear.

> This is also even before they started in with their customer surveys.

Then if you recall the surveys results they really aren't providing what
the surveys indicated.

> Why do these kylix fanatics think Borland even considered the idea of
> porting? As far as I see it kylix may have never even happened
> if it was not for community outcry and pressure by us.

I often wondered if we were of any influence.

> Of course they are ahead of us in the port, they have the code.

To certain degree they are ahead. There are still many things to add to
and debug with the LCL but as a whole it is very complete. Unlike Kylix
it has been written to allow the easy use of other Widget sets. What
Kylix does have on us is the more complete IDE. But from what I
understand it requires Winlib (Wine) to work. So in short they have just
tweaked the Windows version to be able to work with Wine. If we had
decided to do that we could have been out the door long ago as well. We
could have taken Handel and made it work with Wine and compile with Free
Pascal and be at about the same stage. But then it would only work with
Wine in Linux. As it stands now it is possible to build it in FreeBSD
which Marco has proved. I think by going the way of a native application
as we have we are more grounded with our product the Borland is.

> Also everyone is bitching about the price of kylix, just one more
> reason for lazarus to succeed. If a high enough quality of tool is
> generated by the team it will force the inflated value of kylix down
> making it affordable.

That assumes that a lot of people buy it in the first place. We all know
the financial situation that Borland has been in over the last several
years. Hopefully they aren't assuming large sales to keep the company
going. Don't get me wrong I hope they get them but I personally have my
doubts.

> Mike how long has borland been hitting the web server? If I remember
> correctly it was way before the customer survey as well as the kylix
> announcement.

They started hitting the site way before they sent out any surveys. I
have not bothered to check for that in a very long time.