[lazarus] CVS Committed 01/12/2001

Marc Weustink marc at dommelstein.net
Sun Jan 14 10:27:08 EST 2001

At 09:30 14-01-01 +0100, Mattias Gaertner wrote:

>On Sat, 13 Jan 2001 21:43:56 Shane Miller wrote:
> > But it's compiled with
> > {$H+}
> >
> > Doesn't that cause it to use all ansistrings?
>
>Even ShortStrings must be initialized with nil, because strings are
>pointers.
>In objects this is done in InitInstance with
>  fillchar(instance^,self.instancesize,0);
>For GetMem we must do it by ourselves.

Hmm...wonder how delphi this does, since at work I never encountered this
problem (there I use New).
There is a difference between the usage of Getmem and New. New initializes
the record as well so in our case I would prefer the use new (and dispose)
to Getmem. If rever the record changes you wouldn have to change the code
elswere.

Marc