[lazarus] Clarification on FreeCLX discussion

Michael A. Hess mhess at miraclec.com
Tue Mar 20 17:18:19 EST 2001

Greetings,

I just want to make something clear. Some of the discussion going on
from some of the people are questioning the evaluation by MVC and what
is provided or not provided with FreeCLX.

Please understand that this isn't speculation. Michael Swindell was kind
enough to give us an advanced notice of where FreeCLX is located and
allow us access to it. The announcement from Borland will be forth
coming in a day or so (sometime this week) about FreeCLX being on
SourceForge. This isn't a preliminary, alpha, beta, or what have you.
This is what they are putting out as being the Open Source portion of
Kylix that they are calling FreeCLX. What we are seeing is all that
there is. (Unless they have forgotten to put something there)   :-)

MVC took some time to checkout the source from CVS as it stands to
evaluate what was included and what was available. I think he did a good
job of analyzing what they have provided and it doesn't appear to live
up to the concept of being completely open source.

This makes me wonder exactly what they are going to be providing with
the "FREE" version of Kylix that they have been talking about. If
FreeCLX is this limited how limited will the "FREE" Kylix be. It might
be that the only way to really make complete comprehensive apps might be
if you actually purchase a copy of Kylix. One might hope that that isn't
the case but it makes me wonder.   :-\