[lazarus] Much better visual component behaviour in Lazarus

Mattias Gaertner nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de
Wed Mar 21 07:48:15 EST 2001

On 2001.03.21 06:44:12 +0100 José Enrique Alvarez Estrada wrote:
> Hi, folks:
>
> Recently, I reported problems with the component handles en Lazarus under
>
> RedHat 6.2: the component appears in one location and their handles into
> another.
> The last CVS version (03/20/2001) appears to be corrected allmost the
> problems. I suspect the rest of it must be because of “writeln”
> instructions, that speed off the redisplay.
> I will try to compile an entire project, to see more detailes.

The memory leaks were not the direct reason for the slow down.

LCL program became slower with every repaint. The reason was the
inefficient resource storage in the gtk-interfaces. This have been improved
and there should now be no slow down, even if a LCL program runs several
hours and even if a program leaks handles.

The other speed off effect is the general slowness of the LCL along with
flickering. I think, the main reason for speed off and flickering
components is the missing clipping. We are working on that.

I think, the writelns plays only a minor role. If you see a lot of writelns
then you are testing code in development.

Mattias