[lazarus] Win32 Code Analysis

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Fri Mar 30 17:39:13 EST 2001

> started
> > > recompiling the fpc under Delphi. Unfortunetly the FPC has all these
> > > extensions to the language which makes it not-Delphi compatible.
> >
> > We see these 'extensions' as useful :)
>
> I don't disagree, however they are not Delphi compatible, which makes it
> impossible to use Delphi for debugging.

No, it just needs some more IFDEFs, temporarily too afaik, since unit
aliasing is going to disappear in the long run from Delphi too?

> I understand wanting to be independent but really, it's more useful to be
> able to debug your code, which while possible under linux, isn't nearly so
> easy under windows.

This has nothing to do with a cramped sense of independance. Delphi is a
reasonably good product.

However, sometimes different choices, and managing developper time
economically can create things like this. The mere fact that it differs from
Delphi already says enough. Most of those differences are choices that
already had a fair share of discussion about them being different from
Delphi.

> > Using .pp files marks them as files intended for Free Pascal.
> > This can be an indication that FPC extensions are used, but this can
> > also be useful for instance to be able to start up a different editor
> > when double clicking a file in e.g. the windows explorer.
>
> Seems  then that what is wanted is not something that is Delphi compatible,
> but is compatible only unto itself.

That is not true. What Michael tries to say is that
the fact that we aren't Delphi itself, while Delphi might be on a
developpers system already imposes restrictions in FPC.

> > And: The compiler does not name the files; it is the programmer that does
> > this.
>
> The compiler enforces the names in the uses clause.  I believe this was the
> root of all my problems.

That's consistancy :-)

> > It is always up to the programmer to code compiler-independent, the
> compiler
> > should not enforce anything.
>
> By the compiler definition, it will enforce code which is compiler
> dependent. Using more then one compiler makes the code compiler independent,
> which to me seems a worthwhile goal.

That's theory :-)        Praxis <> Theory :-)