[lazarus] Win32 Code Analysis

Chris cryst at golden.net
Sat Mar 31 06:25:05 EST 2001

Thank you all for responding to my queries and comments.

If I understand you all correctly then:
1. fpc uses .pas and is a better compiler then Delphi so no need to change
to Delphi for development purposes on win32 systems.
2. lazarus uses .pp for mainly historical reasons, but the people who use it
think it's nice, and don't feel a need for compiling in Delphi on win32
systems.
3. Views are divided on the idea of multiple compilers making compiler
independant code.
4. There are no FPC language extensions in Lazarus and if there are then
they should be removed.
5. Florian thinks that compiling the IDE in Delphi will not be productive
because of Delphi's buggy compiler.

I think that sums up the discussions, did I miss anything important?

OK, my comments back.
1. I must have been mistaken in this.
2. I don't like, but maybe that's just me.
3. My view is it's better to use multiple compilers to reduce compiler
dependence. (To me it seems self evident).
4. I agree.
5. I'm not so sure, since the current editor was originally written as a
delphi component, that shouldn't be too much to make compatible again. Also
the reason I want to be able to develop Lazarus in Delphi was not so much
because of the editor, but because of the debugger.

Hope this doesn't sound so caustic this time. It wasn't intentional.

Regards,
Chris.