[lazarus] New gtkglarea demo

Shane Miller SMiller1 at stvgb.org
Thu Oct 18 09:34:15 EDT 2001

What is the module's actual name?  Where should it be located.  I didn't have a MODULE section so I created one but now it says it can't find that module.  Is the file the libGL.so or is it something else?

Shane

>>> kirby-2 at web.de 10/18/01 06:29AM >>>

> How do I determine my Kernel version.
Try "uname -r".
For example:
mulk at mulkomp:~ > uname -r
2.4.11-pre5
mulk at mulkomp:~ >

> Do I really need to compile something into the kernel
> to get this to work?  Is loading modules enough?
Usually you just have to load the module. But I prefer compiling all my stuff
into the kernel :)
Besides, you only need to do something about the kernel (be it loading modules
or recompiling) if you want to use hardware acceleration.

Just do what Mattias told you.
You may want to redirect startx's output to some logfile and read it
afterwards, i.e.: startx >x.log 2>x.err
One of the two files (x.log or x.err) will be empty because X writes
everything to stderr (or stdout, respectively), but I can't recall which one
:-)

Just look for something like "Direct Rendering" or "GLX".
If you read "Direct rendering enabled" somewhere, hardware acceleration works;
if not, then not. At least that's the case for me (XFree86 4.1.0).

Maybe it's not important (probably it is for hardware acceleration), but I
also have the lines:
        Load            "dri"
        Load            "drm"
in the modules section of my XF86Config file (besides 'Load "glx"').

Also, if you want to use hardware accelerated OpenGL as a normal user (which
is likely, isn't it?), you have to put this in the XF86Config file too:

Section "DRI"
        Group           "video"
        Mode            0666
EndSection

This allows all users in group "video" to use OpenGL hardware acceleration. Or
so I think ;)
You might want to create the group "video" and put yourself in it, or change
"video" to "users" or something.
I don't know if you need all this if you want to use software rendering,
though...

In X, you can check if OpenGL is enabled quite easily: open a terminal window
and type "glxinfo".

Mata ne,
Magus