[lazarus] native Win32 Interface

cryst cryst at golden.net
Tue Aug 27 10:36:10 EDT 2002

I spent some time trying to get the win version to
compile. After a frustrating week I gave up. (My time is also limited as well so
my contributions wouldn't have been too great anyway).

I've been thinking over the last few months of a
way to greatly increase the scope of Lazarus.  When I first joined this
mailing list, it was because there was no such animal as Kylix and I greatly
desired the ability to compile the same code on Windows and linux and use Delphi
(or something like it) to do it.  To me if I just wanted to code in Windows
I'd use native windows tools... If I wanted to code in Linux I'd use native
Linux tools. The strength that Lazarus can have is in it's abiltity to be able
to compile in both environments.

To do this, originally the GTK API was to be the
interface to the Gui. This works with the gimp so I could see no reason for it
not to work with Lazuras. Turns out it's harder then it looks
(apparently).  My suggestion is that the whole group code towards
wxWindows. This api was created specifically to allow different OS's to run the
same interface code. If the whole group had wxWindows at the same level that
Lazarus is at with gtk then windows support, (and Mac and others as well) would
already be present. The wxWindows is Open source and could use a nice
programming environment (like Lazarus) to support it.

What do you think?

<BLOCKQUOTE