[lazarus] Helping to linux part

Andrew Johnson aj_genius at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 29 09:11:36 EDT 2002

On Thu, 29 Aug 2002 05:25:59 +0200
"Mattias Gaertner" <nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de> wrote:

>Perhaps Andrew can tell, what he is working on.

Well, I am trying to fill in the blanks in all things Graphics. This means
also fixing/finishing controls within the LCL which couldn't be finished on
acount of incomplete/missing Graphics routines. Currently my big project is
filling in as much of the blanks as possible in TBitmap/TPixmap &
corresponding TBitmapCanvas, much of this is both LCL, and Interface, which
means to begin with my changes will only be available under GTK. After I get
more of the basics working - resizing, draw, FreeImage, etc. I will start
working on getting TPicture to work, and from there TImage. The biggest
problem I am facing is Data. Because of the way GDK/GDKPixbuf handle
Bitmap/Pixmap data, I have only two way's of getting data, pixel by pixel
manually, or Pixel by pixel in one lump (gdk_pixbuf_get_pixels). Which means
I have to find someway of converting all data into proper corresponding Data
for Streams and Files. For Pixmaps I can almost do this with Pixmap
libraries, but since we would prefer to have as few additional library
dependencies as possible, we need to write our own routines, for all
formats. Plus we need to be able to implement loading of Bitmap data. which
currently does nothing.. not even create a blank Bitmap handle. Until saving
to stream is done, Lazarus has no way of saving to lfm, and until loading
from stream is complete, loading from dfm's will be sketchy at best.
Once/if I can get streaming working, the biggest dillemna will be working
out the differences within interfaces, so that the LCL has as few interface
specific workarounds as possible.

Andrew