[lazarus] Internationalization of Lazarus

Mattias Gaertner nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de
Sun Feb 17 18:07:33 EST 2002

On Sun, 17 Feb 2002 15:45:23 -0300
"Luis R. Hilario" <l_hilario at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Michael Van Canneyt wrote:
> >
> > On Sat, 16 Feb 2002, Luis R. Hilario wrote:
> >
> > > Hello,
> > > I found a problem with the editor: characters cannot be entered, like:
> > > áéíóú.

added to my bug list.

> > > And as we are speaking of the subject.
> > > About what system one has thought to use to translate to Lazarus to
> > > other languages?
> >
> > Free Pascal supports the use of resource strings, and you can choose the
> > way to translate them. We have added default support for GNU gettext,
> > but you can implement any mechanism you want.
> >
> > You can find more information in the Programmers guide.

I think, resource strings are pretty good and easy for that.
There are about 100 string constants in the IDE, 300 in the codetools and a few in the LCL.
I think, they should be gathered in three units:
idestrconst.pas, codetoolsstrconst.pas and lclstrconst.pas

The language option should then be placed in the environment options.

Any volunteers?

Mattias