[lazarus] Some Bugs found

Michal Bukovjan michal.bukovjan at openone.cz
Mon Feb 18 15:57:49 EST 2002

Hi,

1) Lazarus will have to require a widget set, at least the supported
one, be it GTK, Qt, or Win32. The cool part is, you can switch betweem
those.
2) Gnome is *NOT* a widget set, it enahnces the basic GTK and provides
some functionality not found and provided by a widget set. Again,

GTK + Gnome = Qt + KDE = Win32

while Delphi draws its functions from Win32, we seem to restrict
ourselves to a subset (GTK/Qt) in widget set by current policy.
Here is a quick list, by looking into gnome-libs, that is provided by
Gnome as is available under Win32 and supported by Delphi:

- manipulation of desktop files and icons, desktop integration
- help system integration
- printing, paper and printer setup, PostScript utilities
- sound playing
- mime type handling, file launching, common dialogs
- configuration registry backend
- stock icons / resources

we can rewrite some of these things from scratch, some of these things
may not be needed, but I think there are things we cannot ignore to
provide an alternative to Deplhi.
At this point, there are more important bugs to fix, but we will have to
decide in these issues later anyway.

So to say, never say never :-) I would like your (developers) opinion on
how we could possibly solve the above issues, or possibly other issues I
forgot.

Michal