[lazarus] help format

Mattias Gaertner nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de
Wed Jan 23 12:44:35 EST 2002

Hi all,

A month ago, there was a discussion about the help format for lazarus.
It was mentioned, that a browser based help system would be far too slow.
The alternatives for the format were html, windows help, custom format or fpdoc.
The alternatives for the viewer were custom helpviewer or gtkhtml.

The help should be easily to edit under at least linux and windows.
The context sensitive help system for the IDE needs a link based system, which can be remote controlled. Remote control should be possible via help IDs and via keyword search like "TTreeView" -> "Items". It would be nice, if the help viewer has got only one window, instead of three like Delphi. I think, the Delphi navigation of properties to the left and explanation to the right is nice, but I miss the big context. It would help, if the left side shows a tree of the complete help instead of just one node.
Did I miss something important?

Is there any help format+viewer+editor available?

We already got some texts. But we need a format to publish them.

Mattias