[lazarus] Question about makefile and makefile.fpc

Sat Jan 26 04:52:14 EST 2002

On Fri, 25 Jan 2002, Michael A. Hess wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I have been pulling my hair out trying to get a good setup of Win32 to
> build Lazarus. Still not sure it is possible.
>
> I have run across several kinks with regards to the Makefile.
>
> Currently we are running:
>
>     fpcmake -w
>
> every time we run make in a directory.
>
> The problem is that the simple command:
>
>     fpcmake -w
>
> will not work UNLESS you have additional directories in your FPC
> installation which would correspond to the actual source location for
> the various packages. Since we are not doing that in our Linux RPM and
> Win32 installs it causes no end of problems.
>
> The only way around it would be to have it do a
>
>     fpcmake -w -T$(OS_TARGET)
>
> That would build the Makefile just fine BUT it would only build it with
> the package information for that platform. Then if that gets committed
> people on Linux could be checking out a Win32 Makefile, etc. etc. etc.
> yadda, yadda, yadda. It gets to be a mess.
>
> My question is,
>
>   Why are we forcing it to build a new Makefile every time we run make?

You should not. The makefiles for FPC are built manually, and committed.
It only means that the makefiles must be rebuilt manually whenever
Makefile.fpc changes.

As for the synedit error:
1. Are you sure there is not a synedit unit lingering around somewhere ?
2. Try putting in hints and warnings or -va: Then you should know WHY it
   tries to rebuild synedit. If it is a compiler bug, We'll need this info.

Michael.